Friday, February 19, 2010

Week 8 ATC Diary

Our prompt for week 8 at the ATC Diary was 'favorite technique/s', wow what fun I have had! I started with and alcohol ink/glossy paper background with tattered edges. I would be lost without my Heidi Swapp Edge Distresser!
I have then made my branch for my owl to sit on. Yes the branch is hand made - save yourself money and make them, they are super easy.
To make a branch you will need -
Brown paper bag
Inks - I have used all types, and usually use a few different colours.
Modge Podge (or watered down PVA will work)
How to -
*Take your bag and cut it into strips. Play with different widths.
*Crumble the strips into balls, then un-crumple them.
*Take your ink pad and swipe it over the strip. Do this as much or little as you like to gain the effect you like.
*Paint modge podge onto the non-inked side, then roll and twist them.
*That's it, just cut to the length you want, add more modge podge to twist 'branches' together.
EASY!!!! But messy and sticky!!
The owl is a Collections chipboard, which I have inked with Tim Holtz distress inks, frayed burlap and antique lace, if I remember correctly! I have then taken a flourish stamp, and stamped it randomly over the body to give it texture with a darker distress ink (walnut stain I think)
The flowers are simple again. And a huge money saver. They are just plain daisy type flowers (I have used other kinds, play with different types, they all turn out differently.) These ones are Prima, but I usually use Green Tara, but they were too big.
To make flowers you need -
Flowers
Glue - I love tombow mono.
How to -
Take your flowers, put a dob of glue in the middle. Pinch and twist to create the flower, again this is until you are happy.
I usually get them looking like this. (Sorry for the blurry photos)
Get another flower, put the glue in the centre, then put the first one in the centre, and pinch and twist the two together. You can cut the bottoms of, so they sit flat, but I don't worry. You can add as many layers as you like. I usually do three or four flower layers.
They end up looking like this.
If you are having trouble I can help you, just leave a comment.

1 comment:

De said...

Speedy Gongazales has nothing on you Leesa!! I love it and thank you for sharing your techniques